"Showing quite developed colour for such a young wine, this 40% oak-fermented Chenin is honeyed and spicy, with some pear drop and wax on the palate and a sappy, refreshing finish.
Rich, yet focused."

90
Tim Atkin

Analysis

Catherine Marshall 2014 Amatra Jono’s Wave Chenin Blanc

Wine of Origin

Elgin

Varietals

100% Chenin Blanc

Analysis

Wine Maker: Catherine Marshall

Alcohol: 14%

Total Acidity: 5.7 g/l

pH: 3.43

Residual Sugar: 2.0 g/l

Total Production: 340 cases


Vineyards

Grapes are selected from a single vineyard in the Elgin Valley and grown on Bokkeveld Shales. Vines are vertically-shoot positioned on a five wire fence system planted 2.2m x 1.2m apart on south and south-east facing slopes to enhance more even budburst and resultant ripening.
Production at harvest averages 6-8 tons per hectare which is handpicked and sorted mostly in the vineyard in early March into small17kg batches.


Vinification and Aging

Both cluster and berry sorting commences prior to being partially crushed. The mash is pressed in a pneumatic bag pressed where both free run and pressed fractions are treated oxidatively with minimal chemical applications.

The juice is settled cold for two days and then 40% is decanted to old French casks and the remaining 60% is fermented a steel tank for a month. Both components are fermented spontaneously and only 10% of the entire blend is taken through secondary Malo-Lactic fermentation to broaden out the mid palate. The resultant wine is then further matured for 8 months.


Tasting Notes

The wine shows intense aromatics of fresh peach and caramelized pineapple. Secondary notes of marzipan and lemon curd with a fresh and crunchy green apple like acidity fans out the tail on the finish. A rich mid palate adds breadth to the graphite and wet stone texture throughout. This wine would pair very well with sushi, seared cape salmon, steamed mussels with saffron, or a fragrantly spiced pork loin with couscous.


2014 Vintage Notes

An exceptionally wet and cold winter resulted in excellent winter dormancy. Further wet and cold conditions continued late into spring, delaying budburst by several weeks. Although disease pressure was higher, the warmer weather that eventually arrived in December enabled the vines to recover. A wet January led into a warm, sunny February which allowed version to proceed late.